Mini Turkey Meatloaf Footballs
Aren’t these A-DORABLE! Almost too cute to eat right? Almost!
This week I wanted to be a little cheesy with my football menu, so I pulled out my mom’s best meatloaf recipe, jazzed it up a bit and made them into mini footballs! Plus they are loaded with sharp cheddar cheese! See how I did that, cheesy and cutie cheesy.
Yes, I know the only one laughing at that one right now is my mother…
You really can do this with any meatloaf recipe. I took my mom’s traditional meatloaf, got rid of the dried onion soup mix (not going to lie, I do love that stuff), added some turkey bacon for some extra smokey goodness and switched out the traditional ground beef for white meat ground turkey. Feel free to take this basic recipe (meat, onion, and moist maker) and make up your own cheesy (aka cute) and tasty treat for this weekend’s games!
- 1 lb white meat ground turkey
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp grated onion
- ¼ c finely diced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 4 strips of turkey bacon, diced
- ½ c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- ¼ – ½ c skim milk
- low-sugar ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the ground turkey into a large bowl. Add the eggs, grated onion, diced onion, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, diced (raw) turkey bacon and the cheese.
- Pour the milk into a shallow bowl. Dip the bread into the milk and let it absorb as much milk as possible (do this with both slices). Once dipped, put them into the bowl with the ground turkey.
- Using your hands (really this is the best way to do this, you can also use a wooden spoon or spatula) mix all of the ingredients together (do not over mix, just mix enough that the ingredients are combined.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Form 4-6 mini meatloaves and place them onto the lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until meatloaf is cooked through. After 30 minutes, top each of the footballs with low-sugar ketchup as a design (optional).
We served this week’s football meal with Apple Carrot Slaw.